Atherstone has a long history dating back to Roman times.An important defended Roman settlement named Manduessedum existed at Mancetter near the site of modern-day Atherstone, and the Roman road, the Watling Street (most of which later became part of the A5) ran through the town.According to Nichols, the chapel was granted to Henry Cartwright in 1542, then left abandoned and neglected until 1692 when Samuel Bracebridge settled a yearly sum for the parson of Mancetter to preach there every other Sunday in the winter season After this, St.Mary’s Chapel seems to have experienced something of a revival.C9), refers to the creation of nine new burgage strips from land belonging to seven of the tenants in Atherstone vill.By the late Tudor period Atherstone had become a centre for leatherworking, clothmaking, metalworking and brewing.The production of felt hats in the town ceased altogether with the closure of the Wilson & Stafford factory in 1999.
The town is situated 5.6 mi (9.0 km) northwest of Nuneaton, 5.6 mi (9.0 km) southeast of Tamworth and 14 mi (23 km) north of the nearest major city, Coventry.
They show Atherstone at this time as a typical Midlands market town, taking full advantage of its location and agricultural setting.
Atherstone was once an important hatting town, and became well known for its felt hats.
In Tudor times, Atherstone was a thriving commercial centre for weaving and clothmaking.
The town's favourable location laid out as a long ‘ribbon development’ along Watling Street, ensured its growth as a market town.
although the fine architectural drawing of the chapel made by Mr.